Art Eye: Self-Portrait, Vincent Van Gogh

Hello again everyone! I swear I apologise with every post how I am not sticking to a set day to post, but I have just gone back to college this week so it has been hectic and I am finally settled and I can confirm that I will be posting on Mondays. So, on with the post.



So I am finally getting round to doing a piece by Van Gogh! I was going to do Starry Night but I thought that I would do this piece, because I really love the pastel colour of the background, and I think it would be more interesting. Anyway, so this is one of Van Gogh's many self-portrait, I think he did about forty self-portrait in his lifetime. This painting was done when Van Gogh was in an asylum in St. Remy. He had committed himself after a mental breakdown. Something Van Gogh often uses to convey emotion is colour, and this mostly blue painting is only disrupted by the orange beard and hair of the famous painter. But blue holds such a relationship with depression it is easy to connect this painting with the painters emotions.

So onto the makeup. I was very excited about this one because I knew I would have to work with eyeliners to get the swirly lines. I actually used eyeshadow pigments, and mixed them with water to make a paste like eyeliner. It worked really well. I used different shades of blue, purple and a white to recreate this painting using this technique. I've never done something like this before, so it was really fun to experiment and do something different. 






I really like this makeup, because it is so creative and different. I know I haven't posted in a while, but I have been so so busy and now I feel a bit more settled I am hoping to post on time every (fingers crossed) week. Hope you enjoyed this post, and like always if you have an questions or requests just let me know in the comments! 

HGx

Comments

POPULAR POSTS