Pat McGrath Inspired Makeup

Hello everyone! I don't only take inspiration from art work you know, sometimes it comes from anything and anyone, and with this place being an 'inspiration hub' I shall not confine myself to the art eye box. Today I wanted to talk about one of my favourite makeup artists, and one of my biggest inspirations in life, Pat McGrath.

The greatness of Pat McGrath should not be underestimated. She had worked hard throughout her successful career to get to where she is. Not only is she talented with makeup but she is also talented in being a freaking awesome woman. Just check out her twitter and instagram, which is a must if you want to see amazing makeup flashbacks from her career . One of the things I admire about this woman is her ability to find inspiration and beauty in just about anything, but also in other people's work and isn't afraid to share and promote what she loves. What I love about her as a makeup artist is her insane use of colour and shape. She really works the abstract into the face and combines the two into something coherent that just works as a piece of art.

Back in May she did the makeup for a Louis Vuitton Cruise 2016 show, the main models were fresh faced, bushy browed with an accent of monochrome dots placed either above or below their arches (more on this dot trend to come soon). However, some models who greeted the guests were made up more creatively. The combination of bold colours in geometric shapes with pale white bases, reminiscent of Ziggy Stardust, is fun and embrasses everything McGrath. In true Hidden Gem fashion I have gone for the look which I found the least amount of pictures for (only these two exist on the internet apparently), but I couldn't help myself.



I have been obsessing about this makeup since the show which was three months ago now so I just need to re create it and get it out of my system. My only downfall is that I don't have a mohawk. In my excitement I may have done it the opposite way on my face, because I was working straight from the photo and my brain didn't comprehend that I would have to flip it. *sigh* BUT I hope you enjoy it anyway, because I loved the 2 hours I spent turning myself purple and yellow (sarcasm not intended).









PRODUCT LIST:
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
Snazaroo Face Paint (White, Yellow and Red)
Sleek Ultra Mattes V1 Palette
Rimmel Scandal Eyes Black Kohl Pencil
Bourjois Volume Glamour Max Mascara
Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in No. 30

The white base was the hardest part of this surprisingly, it took so long to get an even application but I am sure it would be easier with better quality face/body paint. I used a base on the yellow to red fades because these colours are usually hard to work with and these were the more defined shapes so it helped to give it structure. I wish I had done a base of the purple.  I did kick myself after I was sorting out these photos and I realised that I had done it the wrong way round but this is where I claim it's artistic licence. I am really pleased with this over all, and I had lots of fun being all the colours for a few hours on a Tuesday night.

HG

Comments

POPULAR POSTS